Do you need a building permit for your pool fence

Some of the typical mistakes that people make on the Gold Coast is to not get the correct kind of building permit or permission before starting the renovation work or home improvements. If you are thinking about making changes to your pool, or perhaps add in a pool then we hope this small guide can help point you in the ideal direction. If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with Absolut Custom Glass on 1300 937 902 and we will be happy to talk through your fencing questions. Depending where you are with your project, you may need to either build a Pool and a Fence, or just a Pool Fence.

If you need to simply build a fence, replace the existing one, or update your fence to be compliant, then you may not need a building permit to start the job. Any new pool fence or safety barrier will need to comply with laws around height and non-climb zones– you can find out more about it on the Absolut fencing blog or on the QLD government website As a rule of thumb with building permits in the Gold Coast and Queensland, you will most likely not need to get a building development approval if:

  • You are only building a pool fence that should be at the pool safety standard( ie, you can simply be building the fence – you can not construct a large shed and declare it as a part of the fence exemption).
  • The fence will not be more than 2000mm above the ground level,
    OR – if built on a retaining wall or other structure – the fence can not be greater than 2m above the wall or structure,
  • However, if building above 2000mm, it can not be inside 1.5 m of a boundary.
  • The pool barrier is examined by a pool safety inspector for compliance with the pool safety standard. If you are establishing a totally new pool or structure in your backyard, then you will certainly need to go through an approval process from the city council.
    This will often include getting:
  • Building approval – this is where a building will prepare plans and specs and after that lodge the intent to build with the local government.
  • Structural durability assessments this will include a builder assessing not just the physical structure of the proposed pool, but the underlying region that the pool will be set up into. This may include getting an assessment from an engineer if the terrain is especially challenging.
  • Sewerage and water supply approval – this is to ensure that you have approval for an adjustment to your water supply network and any potential disposal consideration. For the most part, your builder will figure out all of your permits that you need for constructing a new pool.

If you are ever not sure if they have sought the correct permits, don’t hesitate to talk with them and ask questions. Any capable builder should be happy to talk to you through your needs and make certain that you are happy with the progression of the building job.

From this, hopefully you can see how essential permits and permissions are, and that you now understand a little more about the sorts of questions you will need to ask before you start any sort of construction – whether or not through a builder or if it is a DIY task. If you have any sort of concerns about permits, approvals, fencing installations, or DIY Poool Fencing – please don’t hesitate to contact Absolut Custom glass with all your Gold Coast and South East Queensland Pool Fencing questions. You can reach Absolut Custom Glass on 1300 937 902

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top